Abby Holden concentrates her practice in the area of civil litigation and complex commercial litigation. Ms. Holden has worked on a variety of litigation matters, including commercial and business disputes, aviation matters, personal injury, land use and environmental claims, premises liability and representing insurers in coverage, bad faith, and ERISA litigation. Ms. Holden is listed in Best Lawyers for Commercial Litigation and is also recognized as a Super Lawyers Rising Star. Examples of Ms. Holden’s experience include:
- Obtained full defense jury verdict in favor of Fortune 100 company in State subrogation action.
- As lead trial counsel obtained full jury verdict prosecuting a professional negligence claim against insurance agency and agent, including an award for special and general damages and attorneys’ fees for the firm’s client.
- Successfully defended client in connection with permitting, contested case hearings and litigation involving conservation district use permits.
- Worked on litigation team obtaining full and swift repayment of $32 million from the broker-dealer defendant pursuant to claims brought under the federal securities laws and under Hawaii’s Blue Sky laws.
- Represented Fortune 500 client in a jury trial brought by the Hawai‘i Attorney General for violations of HRS Chapter 480.
- Negotiated numerous favorable settlements or walkaways for legacy airlines.
- Obtained directed verdict in bench trial for large auto-dealership.
- Successfully defended appeals before the Hawai‘i Intermediate Court of Appeals and the Hawai‘i Supreme Court.
Ms. Holden is a graduate of the University of Washington. She graduated magna cum laude from the University of Hawai‘i William S. Richardson School of Law, where she served on the editorial board of the law review. After law school, Ms. Holden clerked for Chief Justice Ronald T.Y. Moon at the Hawai‘i Supreme Court. Prior to joining Cox Fricke LLP, Ms. Holden was an associate at Goodsill Anderson Quinn & Stifel LLP. Ms. Holden has lectured on legal writing at the William S. Richardson School of Law since 2014.
Professional and Civic Activities
- Hawai‘i State Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Fellow, HSBA Leadership Institute 2012
- American Inns of Court Aloha Inn
- Director, Young Lawyers Division of the Hawai‘i State Bar Association (2015-2016)