Kim Vossman concentrates her practice in the area of civil litigation. She has represented both plaintiffs and defendants and worked on a variety of litigation matters, including claims of negligence, personal injury, premises liability, wrongful death, products liability, medical malpractice, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, unfair and deceptive trade practices and unfair methods of competition, as well as in insurance coverage and business disputes. Ms. Vossman has represented clients in several phases of litigation practice, including discovery, pre-trial motions, mediation and settlement. She is also experienced in cases that have been assigned to the Court Annexed Arbitration Program (CAAP) and has represented clients in prosecuting and defending appeals before the Hawai‘i Intermediate Court of Appeals and the Hawai‘i Supreme Court. Examples of Ms. Vossman’s experience include:
- $10 million judgment after federal bench trial in medical negligence case brought under the Federal Tort Claims Act wherein Tripler Army Medical Center staff improperly placed a central line that pierced the patient’s subclavian artery causing massive and life-threatening blood loss which ultimately led to an acute kidney injury and chronic kidney disease.
- Successfully represented prominent multinational hotel and hotel management company in numerous tort matters assigned to CAAP
- Represented travel agency in connection with a multi-defendant personal injury litigation, obtaining favorable rulings on crucial pre-trial motions and dismissal of client for nominal settlement amount
- Represented national distributor in connection with wrongful death claims arising out of a motor vehicle accident, obtaining favorable settlement after successful mediations sessions and prior to the commencement of any litigation brought against the company
- Represented major airline in connection with personal injury claims of airline passenger, resulting in favorable settlement
- Worked on litigation team defending notable client in connection with numerous environmental and land use issues, obtaining favorable appellate rulings
- Successfully represented large organization in connection with claims of traumatic brain injury
- Work on litigation team involved in prosecuting personal injury and wrongful death claims for group of plaintiffs and against large tour company, obtaining favorable settlements
- Drafted liability waivers, releases, assumption of risk and indemnification agreements for recreational activity owners and operators, event organizers and travel agencies
Ms. Vossman was born and raised in Wisconsin and moved to Hawai‘i after graduating with a B.A. from the University of Michigan, where she was a member of the women’s varsity tennis team. After working in Human Resources for a cruise line in Honolulu, she obtained her law degree at the University of Hawai‘i William S. Richardson School of Law, graduating summa cum laude. While in law school, Ms. Vossman served on the editorial board of the law review. She also completed an externship for Magistrate Judge Kevin S.C. Chang, United States District Court for the District of Hawai‘i. After law school, Ms. Vossman clerked for Chief Justice Mark E. Recktenwald at the Hawai‘i Supreme Court and then worked as an associate at Goodsill Anderson Quinn & Stifel LLP.
Professional and Civic Activities
- Hawai‘i State Bar Association
- Pro Bono work with the Hawai‘i Access to Justice Commission, Volunteer Legal Services Hawai‘i, and the Legal Aid Society of Hawai‘i
- Co-author of the Hawaii chapter of the Tort Law Desk Reference, a Fifty State Compendium