Joachim Cox, recognized by Chambers & Partners USA, Benchmark Litigation, Super Lawyers and The Best Lawyers in America, is an experienced litigator and trial lawyer. Mr. Cox focuses his practice on complex commercial and business disputes. Additionally, utilizing his experience as a Defense Counsel in the United States Navy Judge Advocate General’s Corps and Special Assistant United States Attorney in the District of Hawai‘i, Mr. Cox represents white collar criminal defendants in matters related to alleged violations of state and federal securities, tax, and environmental laws. Examples of his experience include:
- Arbitration award of over $13 million in damages and pre-judgment interest to our client (Hawaiian Host) after a highly contested case involving a hostile takeover attempt by a group of foreign investor defendants.
- Lead Special Counsel, retained on behalf of the County of Maui, responsible for successfully prosecuting the County’s investor claims, resulting in the full and swift repayment of $32 million by the broker-dealer defendant.
- After winning pre-trial motions, obtained favorable settlements on behalf of thirteen privately-held automobile dealerships in connection with five class action lawsuits alleging violations of Hawai‘i’s Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices Act.
- Successfully prosecuted multi-million dollar Federal Tort Claims Act lawsuit brought by the family and estate of a Navy Veteran against the United States based upon negligent treatment received at Tripler Army Medical Center.
- Successfully prosecuted through verdict at trial, claims against a shareholder of a closely held company, resulting in a judgment awarding the firm’s clients special damages, punitive damages and attorneys’ fees.
- Trial counsel hired by state contractors to prosecute and defend procurement protests collectively valued in excess of $100 million.
- Trial counsel retained to defend a trustee of a large Hawai‘i based land-estate alleged to have been involved with improper self-dealing in the development and sale of a piece of the estate’s property (valued in excess of $35 million). On the eve of trial, following favorable rulings resulting in a finding of no violation on the part of the firm’s client, the case settled with full repayment to the trustee of fees and costs incurred in the defense of the allegations.
- Serves as outside general counsel to two organizations: a Hawai‘i based conglomerate involved in land ownership and automobile dealerships, and a Hawai‘i based education and research institution. Mr. Cox has experience advising entities on a broad array of issues ranging from corporate formation and asset protection, to negotiating the highest valued sale of Hawai‘i based wireless spectrum.
- Obtained early dismissal of a case against a national airline alleged to have negligently caused the crash of a taxiing small aircraft.
- Successfully prosecuted a multi-year complex shareholder dispute, through state court, bankruptcy court and arbitration proceedings, that resulted in a settlement, in favor of the firm’s client, involving full payment of claims and disgorgement of company’s assets to the client.
- Obtained full dismissal of federal felony charges on eve of trial of State law enforcement officer charged with federal firearms offenses.
- On the eve of trial, and after four years of investigation and litigation involving allegations of false statements and Clean Water Act violations, obtained dismissal of all felony federal charges against general manager and vice president of subsidiary of a Fortune 250 company.
- On the eve of trial, after three years of litigation in multiple state and bankruptcy court actions related to claims of professional malpractice, obtained settlement in favor of firm’s client resulting in full payment of investors’ claims and attorneys’ fees and costs involved in the prosecution.
Mr. Cox moved to Hawai‘i on orders as a diving and salvage officer with the United States Navy. After two tours with the Special Operations community, Mr. Cox continued his service in Hawai‘i upon transferring to the Navy’s Judge Advocate General’s Corps, eventually retiring from the Navy Reserve. After leaving active duty, Mr. Cox entered private practice with the mission of providing innovative solutions toward achieving clients’ goals.
Professional and Civic Activities
- Fellow – Litigation Counsel of America
- Bencher – American Inns of Court Aloha Inn
- Hawai‘i State Bar Association
- Co-author of the Hawaii chapter of the Product Liability Desk Reference, a Fifty State Compendium